Guys with Braces – 5 great reasons guys are getting braces
When we think about braces and other orthodontic work, the first picture that often comes to mind usually involves teenagers (or perhaps Katy Perry acting like a teenager). However, the benefits of straight teeth and a healthy smile aren’t just for kids.
Every year more adults are choosing orthodontic treatment, and a large percentage of those adults are men.
Guys with braces. Are you surprised? We’re not. Check out these 5 great reasons why guys are getting braces. We’ll have you in and out before you can say: “Cool story, bro.”
1. You’re in Good Company
More Men Are Getting Orthodontic Treatment Now Than Ever.
Of all of the adults seeking orthodontic treatment including braces 44% are men. Guys are considering braces for a variety of reasons. Beyond the obvious and often amazing visual transformation of having straight teeth, braces and other orthodontic treatment can help correct or address other physical issues such as:
- Chronic Headaches and Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)
- Oral hygiene issues and uneven wearing or even cracking/breaking teeth caused by overcrowding or alignment issues
- Intestinal and dietary issues caused by the inability to chew properly
Smile and know you’re in good company. In fact, there are plenty of guys with braces who aren’t afraid to post up a selfie. There’s a hashtag out there just for you: #boyswithbraces.
2. Guys With Attractive Smiles Are… Well, More Attractive.
And guys with braces have straighter, more attractive smiles.
It’s no secret anymore that a good-looking smile is one of, if not the most important determining factors that potential mates use to judge if someone is dating material. In fact, 71% of single women looking for male partners believe that a great, healthy smile is a must-have when it comes to dating.
One of the best ways to make sure a potential mate remembers you is by having a great smile. According to a Kelton study on first impressions:
“…many Americans say teeth are a standout feature when it comes to what they notice and recall when first meeting someone. About two-thirds of Americans are more likely to remember attractive features than those they find to be unpleasant. Perhaps this is why so many realize a nice smile is important.”
3. Bring Your Smile to Work – And Increase Your Chances For Promotion & Career Success
That Kelton study about smiles and first impressions goes beyond dating. People who smile (yes, even men who smile) are seen to be more approachable, intelligent, collaborative, popular, and trustworthy.
Have an important meeting or interview coming up? People who smile are more likely to be recognized or remembered, and have an increased chance for being hired or promoted. Make sure your smile will dazzle and impress as much as your resume.
4. Straight Teeth Are Easier to Protect From Sports Injury
Unless you are a professional athlete secretly hoping to make Sports Illustrated’s list of men with toothless smiles, it’s a good idea to wear a mouthguard and protect your teeth and your brain from concussion during sports and other athletic activities.
Teeth that are protruding, overcrowded, or otherwise misaligned are harder to protect even when wearing a mouthguard, and more vulnerable to injuries, cracking, breaking, or even avulsion (that’s a nice way of saying knocked out tooth).
The most effective type of mouthguard is one that is custom made by a dentist or orthodontist to fit your mouth and teeth exactly. 1st Family Dental is a leader in providing athletic and custom-fitted mouthguards in just a few simple steps.
5. Great Orthodontic Treatment Options Means Better, Faster Results
If you’re considering braces or other orthodontic treatment, there are a variety of options available to give you the best possible results. Along with our outstanding and highly trained orthodontic specialists, we offer the following treatment options at 1st Family Dental:
- Traditional Braces – these are the most common, metal brackets and wires. With advancements in techniques and materials, brackets are smaller and lower profile.
- Clear Braces – just as effective as metal braces, but with the added advantage of stealth. The brackets are made from tooth-colored ceramic, and the wires are nearly invisible.
- Lingual Braces – These custom-fitted brackets made of gold can move your teeth without anyone knowing because they are attached to the lingual, or tongue-side of your teeth. Lingual braces are just as effective as other types of braces.
- Invisalign ® – Straighten your smile with a series of custom, clear, removable aligners. Invisalign ® is almost invisible and most people don’t even notice. These custom-made aligners also have the added bonus of serving as whitening trays for at-home treatments.
- AcceleDent®. – Turbo-charge your braces treatment with a new technology called AcceleDent ®. This treatment-accelerator helps to move teeth more quickly by using micropulses, or tiny vibrations. 1st Family Dental offers this technology for our adult orthodontic patients to help them to achieve optimal results, while reducing their treatment duration by up to 50%.