September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.
Just because the month is almost over does not mean we’ll stop caring, and we know you won’t stop, either. At 1st Family Dental, we’ve continued our campaign to reach our goal to donate $50,000 to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, and we will keep working until we’ve honored our commitment. And then we’ll work some more.
Here are some facts you should know about childhood cancer. [Source: American Cancer Society]
- Every day, more than 43 children are diagnosed with cancer. That means that the parents of over 15,700 kids will hear the heartbreaking words “your child has cancer.”
- Cancer remains the #1 cause of death among children – across all races, ethnicities, and socio-economic groups.
- The average age of children diagnosed with cancer is age six.
- 60% of children who survive cancer suffer lifelong effects such as compromised immune systems, infertility, heart problems, and even secondary cancers.
Helping others to have healthy smiles takes more than just a visit to our office.
It requires that we as a company make a commitment to helping others. A promise to be a contributing member of our local communities, and to do our best to give hope to those who may be struggling to smile right this very minute.
Hope for children who spend formative months and even years of their lives in hospital beds, bravely battling cancer, and smiling through their struggle. Hope for parents and loved ones, who work every single day to stay strong, to smile despite heartache, and who dare to believe in the possibility of a bright future for those children.
Here are facts about childhood cancer that inspired us to action.
- 50 years ago, the survival rate for childhood cancer was only 10%. Today it is nearly 90%.
- There are nearly 375,000 adult survivors of childhood cancer living in the U.S.
- Our ability to recognize, diagnose and treat childhood cancer continues to improve with research.
We’ve raised more than $33,500 so far for St. Jude. And that’s why we keep working so hard to raise funds and awareness to help this cause. When someone asks us: What does childhood cancer have to do with dentistry?
Our answer? Nothing. And everything. A smile.
William Arthur Ward famously said: “A warm smile is the universal language of kindness.” At 1st Family Dental, we believe that everyone deserves to have a healthy smile. Healthy smiles are a part of a healthy body, and vice versa.
Join us in our commitment to raise awareness of childhood cancers, and to support St. Jude. To those who already have, we say: THANK YOU.